What are we funding?
There will be two awards made every academic year:
- Undergraduate Award of £30,000 to study geography or geoscience (£10,000/yr). The award can be spent on fees or maintenance.
- Masters Award of £20,000 (full time 1 year masters) to study within the disciplines of geography or geoscience.
To be considered for the undergraduate award, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You have Black or mixed Black heritage
- You have an offer from a UK university, starting in September 2022, to study:
- An undergraduate degree in geography or related geoscience
- A Master’s degree in GIS or a course with a significant component of GIS
- Have been assessed for fee status as a ‘home’ or ‘RUK’ (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland)
- You meet at least one of the following:
- Qualified for free school meals
- You are a young carer
- You are a Looked After Child
- Priority will be given to applicants whose household income is assessed as £23,999 or less. Applicants with a household income of between £24,000 and £33,900 may also apply
You can demonstrate how and why the scholarship will enable you to fulfil your educational and professional ambitions.
- Applications open 1st November 2021 for undergrad and masters
- Closing date for both 6th April 2022
- Awards announced at Esri UK Annual Conference 2022
Submit a short video (90 seconds max), a 500 word essay or other medium of your choice that answers the question below:
Why is geography or geosciences important to you and what do you plan to do with your new skills, knowledge and qualifications?
What will you need to do?
- Fill out a questionnaire providing some personal details
- Provide a cover letter introducing yourself
- Submit either:
- A link to your unlisted application video on YouTube
- Upload an application essay
- In addition, you can add links to other relevant material to support your application (optional)
Applications open until 6th April 2022